Convert USB drive to wireless?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mal_k100

Beta member
Hi,
I have a USB hard drive that also operates as a media unit having TV output connections and its own 'operating system'. This allows me to store music and videos on the drive and then plug it into my TV.
To copy files I connect to my PC via a USB and all works fine.
What I would like to do is leave the device next to the TV and have some sort of converter that I can plug into the USB port on the drive that will allow it to be recognised by my PC as a network drive. I guess it is sort of like a wirlress print server but for a disk.
I do have a print server but it definately only has the capability to handle a printer and needs software drivers loaded onto the PC to address the server correctly.
So, has anyone come across somethng that might do the job? I do know that I can buy wireless disk drives but I am not interested as I need to use this existing USB unit.
Thanks
Mal

It may be possible to hook up a wireless receiver (available at all major stores such as Best Buy, CompUSA, etc) on the external. Hook the external to your computer, hook up the wireless receiver to the external, and install the software on the external.

I've never done it, but it may work.

Hadn't thought of the other way around, So connect the unit to the PC and run a TV remote - it might work ! I have a remote like that - well similar but it has been very problematic in the past hence trying to fnd an equivalent to a print server box for the disk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom