Connectivity issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosdriver9521

Solid State Member
OK, my girlfriend was downloading a new buddy icon and accidentally installed some adware. Not the first time and usually not a big deal, however, this time, it puts a big bug in the system. The connection goes down and now thereis just about every known bad adware on my system. So I start the clean-up process using Ad-Aware and Spy-Bot S&D and voila! All the adware is gone. Now the only problem is that my computer will no longer connect to the internet. The only real symptom I can describe is that the send light on my modem (cable) isn't flashing. I've uninstalled, restarted and reinstalled just about everything from software, to hardware to drivers, and nothing. It's not just an IE thing because I can't use Outlook or AIM or any online service. Can anyone tell me what is wrong and how to fix it? Please help! :mad:

I am running Windows 2000 Pro, and I don't know my ISP, I am on my computer at work right now.

Any ideas...I'll troubleshoot anything.

It is possible that your ISP had a problem, as it is now working.

It might be worth having a look in the event viewer to see if there are any problems logged in there.

still not working

I am at my office on the computer here so I can investigate the problem. My home computer is still offline. I meant the IP not ISP, I don't know my IP at home off the top of my head. Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry I misread your post.

I would look to find out if you can communicate with your cable modem this can be done by going into “Run” type “cmd” the type “ping 192.168.100.1” where 192.168.100.1 is your cable modem IP (mine is 192.168.100.1) not sure if that is standardised IP? You might find out the modems IP on the net by looking for the make and model.
If you can communicate with the modem i.e. it does not time out, try pinging an external web address i.e. “ping www.google.com”
If you can’t communicate with the modem you will have to look at your networking settings (Check the network cable is still plugged in first and it is powered up) then right click “My Network Places” Properties > right click your “LAN” Properties double click “Internet Protocol” mine is all set to Obtain automatically you might have to check with you ISP as to your settings.
Then I would into “Run” type “cmd” the type “ipconfig /all” and see what this gives you.

Thanks, I'll give it a try when I get home this afternoon. If it doesn't work, then you'll probably see me on here again tomorrow at work.

What I have sugested won't fix it, it will give you information so it is possible to see what is happening.

hope you get it sorted soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom