connection speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

funkywaggnelz

In Runtime
My room mates and I cannot stand how slow the apartment complex's internet is. We were considering getting Comcast internet for just us. The cheapest is 768 kb/s. Between 4 computers would that be fast load times? We occasionally DL some songs, and I am the only one that games online. Would that be fast enough?

Note that you will never get exactly what they say you will, and thats just down speed, what about upload?
Fast enough depends on what you plan to do all at the same time.

Huh, thats weird. Comcast only offers a 6 Meg package out by us. I called and complained numerous times when I had it about performance, and the fact that there is only ONE service offering.... anyways... That 768k should be good for just surfing. Try to hold off song downloads and what not until everyone is asleep, and not utilizing the bandwidth. You can find a download manager that might allow you specify times to get files (can't say for sure, I have only used one, and it was about 5 years ago, don't recall any of the features.). Again with the gaming, you will want to do that while no one else is using the line, depending on what you are playing. If 768k isn't enough, just upgrade.... wouldn't be too bad since there would be 4 of you sharing the bill....

I have comcast at my house. We got the basic ones with the upload speed at 768 and download at 10mbps but with my connection there, I was getting 18mbps download and 1.4mbps download.

Its way way way faster than what im getting here at my dorm. :(

Wish I could still have that connection speed back, but I will only be able to access that when Im at home hehe.

Anyway, the point is the internet speed connection with cable is dependent on how many people in your neighborhood are subscribed to the same provider.

So if theres 1000 people in your neighborhood that are subscribed to comcast, your speed is going to be slower than it is if theres only 50 subscribers in your neighborhood.

So even if comcast says only up to 10mbps, it can go higher if there's not a lot of people connected online. Usually at night when people are asleep or when people are out to work and not using the internet.

Here's my last speed test which was the day I left my house to move to my dorm...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/184319372.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom