Connection Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

pulchritudinous

Beta member
Hello, I'm sorry to repost this if the subject has already come up once before, but I don't have a lot of time until I have to go. I know, I sound important there.

Anyway, my girlfriend is connected to her neighbors router (directly, and they live in a condominium) but her connection is very poor. Her internet goes out within minutes, and if she's lucky... She can pull in 20 minutes before she goes poof. I'm wondering if there's a way to maximize her connection and whether it's the ISP's problem OR the fact that she's not connected to the router in the best way.

Basically, her connection is set up as the router being in her neighbors house and they managed to puncture holes in the wall to allow a connection line to run through. To an extent, she is "connected directly to the router" (sort of). Is this the best way or can you guys recommend a different strategy?

Could be many factors. If the neighbors are ok, then the issue can be in the cable itself. What kind of cable did they use, how long is it and are the ends crimped properly? Does her computer work elsewhere? If so then you can pin point it to the cable.

Also, there could be interference if it is wrapped around or excessively intertwined with power cords, or electrical wires in the wall, etc., due to EMI. And as Shawn said, how long is it because there will be a drop if it is too long. (Shorter is better in this case :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom