Connecting with Xbox360 through nested router - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Internet > Computer Networking and Internet Hardware
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Connecting with Xbox360 through nested router

Hey, just letting people know I'm new to these forums .

Well, to get started like a lot of people I have a nested router, a router which receives it's internet signal through another router.

Normally when I want to forward a port to allow access to something, I forward it on the nested router (router #2), and then forward the port on the original router (router #1) using router 2's static IP.

But now I've come across a problem, when I connect my xbox through ethernet, I can access my laptop's music on the network, but I don't use it because for some reason I can't connect to the internet through Ethernet, I have no clue why so that would be my first question. Does anyone know why I would be denied internet through Ethernet?
When I connect to router 1 Wireless on my Xbox, I can't access my laptop but I can get onto Xbox Live, host parties, join chat. Fine I guess, I can still play Xbox through my surround sound. Although, when I connect to router 2 (Which I prefer because it has a better signal) I can get on live, I can't however join private chat or get on my laptop. The only thing I can think of is that one of the routers is blocking the Xbox's communications. I would naturally think well forward a port to allow it through, but there is no port in my mind. I could be completely wrong.

So my second question is, why are my routers denying access to my Xbox? I could only imagine that router 1 is blocking communications because it's attached to an attached device. But how would I allow this through?

Not an expert with networking, but am pretty familiar with language and bits and pieces. So you don't have to dumb it down for me :P. Any leads would be great, thank you for taking your time .