Connecting Windows 2003 to a preexisting home network...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ofreeb

Baseband Member
Hi,

I'm trying to connect a PC that has Windows Server 2003 on it... I want to set up a file server and take advantage of the Raid 5 and shadowing of hard drives that Win 2003 offers.

I haven't set up any domain (I don't want to have to enter any password) because I'm not interested in securing it. It is just part of a workgroup which is the same as the home network.

It is installed, connected to the Internet (through an Ethernet connection to a Router) but if Windows 2003 sees my home network, it can't see the PCs on it! And of course, it's the same from the other computers (all fitted with XP).

From the server, if I attempt to connect to the home network, I get a message saying that I don't have the permission to access it!!!

I definitely have a connection because I'm able to ping any computer (Server to PCs, any PC to the Server, Server to Router...)

I've bought a book but difficult to find my way round it! It's probably something to do with some rights / permissions !

Who can tell me more ? So frustrating !...

Ofreeb

Go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management. In the Local Users and Groups, if the Guest account is disable (indicated by a red x) enable it back. This account is used for file sharing. If it's enable here no one can log in locally using this account but they can use this account to access shares that have the everyone group in it.

To double check that it can't login locally go to Local Security Policy in the Administrative Tools section. Then go to Local Policies/User Rights Assignment.

Here, you'll see three important entry,
“Deny logon locally” make sure the Guest account is there, you don't want people using your computer. Also (if) accounts like ASPNET, or Support_xxxx should be there also.

“Deny access to this computer form the network” Nothing else except maybe Support_xxxx should be listed here. Else remove any other.

“Access this computer from the network” If the Everyone entry is here, that means all can access this computer using the Guest account. This should be there for file sharing to work.

Check your NTFS file permission on your shares, on 2003 or XP Pro, usually you'll have to disable simple file sharing on XP Pro. In the sharing & security tab, the everyone group should have read, browse, etc permission.

I have checked everything: I needed to add the Guest account.

But still, it doesn't work...

I do not understand, why my computers are not visible although it can see "Mynetwork" in Microsoft Windows Network... Do I have to add a new network place? If it's the case what can i put in there? (I'm lost even with the examples given). I understand it's more for connecting to an external / another network...

I've started to look at it: very interesting!!! I'm not sure it's applicable here because I don't have any problem between my XP machines... It takes quite a while to read it entirely but very useful stuff...

Thank you all! I've found the problem by myself just by trying different options...

On an other forum someone told me to choose the default option of the Netbios setting, in Advanced TCP/IP settings of the TCP/IP properties. In fact I must stay on "Enable Netbios over TCP/IP"...

Glad this is sorted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom