Connecting via static IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

canooten

In Runtime
My company had a VPN server installed a few years ago. At the time we were on a base Bellsouth DSL business package, which did not include a static IP.
The guy the set up the VPN server (running Win2000Server...I've not done much work with that O/S, hence my questions) using one of those DNS aliasing accounts that reports our modem IP address and allows outside access via a XXXX.dnsalias.com address.

We've been having a ton of trouble lately with the little application that updates our current IP address...it shuts down with no warning and keeps us from being able to log in from outside the building and I've been trying to find a workaround.

I found out today that a while back we upgraded our DSL account and it now includes a static IP address. Is it now as simple as replacing the xxxx.dnsalias.com address in the VPN connection setup in our remote computers with the static IP address, and doing away with the whole aliasing thing, or is there more to it than that??

Assigning that static Ip will most likely take care of the issue. Do they also supply you a specific DNS address as well? If so, you will have to adjust that too.

That I'm not sure of. I don't believe so, but I'd have to contact BS to find out.

Just curious, if there is a specific DNS address, where would that have to be assigned on a remote machine?

Network connections>lac>Internet Protocol(tcp/ip) pull up the properties on that, you can assign specifc address ranges to both IP and DNS.

Just switch over the to the IP adress.

For the first time in history, something is easy and simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom