connecting up 2 modems.hlp plz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dz.93

Beta member
hey ok i now have a bedroom in the garage and i want to get internet up there. the distance is too far for a strong N router. inside i have a modem and a router connected to the phone line.
in the garage there is a working phone line and i have tried using the modem + router there and its succesful (im doing that at the moment). i bought a modem router today and tried to install it but sometimes it it fails (says dsl not connected,modem not connected etc. also it asks for isp details which i cant remember :S)
but i was wondering if i do happen to get another working modem router will i be able to use both modems at the same time (one inside the house and one here in the garage). also please suggest other possible solutions.
pretty much i just want internet in the garage and theres a phone line up here.
thanks alot and sorry for the possibly confusing post.

your modem is like a computer... one MAC address to one modem... your ISP will look at multiple modems and multiple LINES and want to charge you accordingly... now you might be able to get a range extender and that might do the trick, but if not then the only thing I can suggest is a line running from your modem, through the house or attic, to your room computer.

thanks for the reply...
i have tried a dlink N router range booster but i was thinking if im going to be able to get net up here wirelessly i would need some sort of repeater can this be done? (a strong router wont be enough)

the only thing you can possibly do is either move your router closer in the general location, or use an range extender (also known as a booster) if that didn't work, then I hate to say, but you are out of luck. You'll have to do the manual work now, I think.

How about trotting an ethernet cable down closer to the garage and attaching an access point to it? It'd be like having your own little wireless internet antenna in your garage and it'd be running off of the modem that's just out of range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom