Connecting two PCs via crossover cable

You need to have 2 network connections on the host PC. 1 connection that has internet coming in (your wifi in this case) and another that is free (your ethernet in this case). Then your client PC just needs a free ethernet port to plug the crossover cable into.

How do I get two connections on the host PC? The host PC has the WiFi connection and the crossover cable connected to the ethernet port. I can't really find a tutorial on how to do this because I don't really even know where to start. I know that the cable connection is in place and the WiFi is good so is it a configuration issue?

I cannot get to the TCP/IP v4 configurations for the host because the LAN is not being found.

How do I get two connections on the host PC? The host PC has the WiFi connection and the crossover cable connected to the ethernet port. I can't really find a tutorial on how to do this because I don't really even know where to start. I know that the cable connection is in place and the WiFi is good so is it a configuration issue?

Under Start > Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings on the left-side panel

It should bring up a window with your computer's connections. It should show you your Wifi connection and your LAN (ethernet) connection. You'll want to configure the ethernet connection (this is what they're talking about when they say you need 2 connections).

I understand this part of it but thats what I have been trying to say. All it is recognizing is the wifi connection and not the LAN.

Post a screenshot of your device manager (with the Network adapters category expanded) as well as your network connections window please.

netconn.jpg
[/IMG]

devman.jpg
[/IMG]

I dont know if I did this right. All I see are red X'

I had the img but I guess I used the same url twice

Last edited:
It's fine, I viewed it by going to the page source already.

That's the same photo. Could you take a screenshot of your Device Manager as well?

Start > right click Computer > Properties > Device Manager on the left-panel > expand Network Adapters category and post a screenshot.

Your network connection may be disabled. Some computers also automatically disable the ethernet port if there is no active connection plugged into it. Try plugging a cable in from your router to your computer to see if it brings it up in the network connections window.

I'll be leaving for class soon, so it won't be until later that I'm able to respond if you get something figured out. You can either wait for me to respond or wait for somebody else to pick up where I left off.

Last edited:
sounds like you don't have the drivers installed for the Ethernet NIC, in device manager do you have a unknown device? it could also be that the Ethernet NIC is dead, do you have another NIC to use and test with?

Also, are you trying on a desk top or a lap top? What o/s? If windows, go into control panel>network connections, click on network connections and it show you both the wireless and either cable (local lan).

If it does not have a local, then you need to acteivate it. Go thru the setup to instal a local connection, but you will need some kind of connection to the router.

Temp relocate either the lap top to the router location and plug a cable in or relocate the router to your 2nd floor location to due the setup.

Also, after getting the connection setup, it is smarter and eaiser to use two normal either cables thru a switch to connect the two computers together.

Back
Top Bottom