Connecting two PCs via crossover cable

Laestrygon

Solid State Member
At our home we have 1 pc downstairs connected to the modem/router and I have 2 pcs upstairs. I have one connected wirelessly and the other I want to connect with a crossover cable to share internet. I know that I need to enable sharing on the LAN (windows 7 on the host comp and Ubuntu on the one that needs internet) but it only shows my wireless network connection and not the LAN on the windows 7 comp. I checked tutorials online and they all assume I can get to the sharing option for the LAN so what do I do? I hope this makes sense.

The computers upstairs are side by side and that pair is directly above the room that has the comp connected to the router. I cannot use wireless for the older one because it does not have a wireless NIC (at least I don't think it does)

Last edited:
At our home we have 1 pc downstairs connected to the modem/router and I have 2 pcs upstairs. I have one connected wirelessly and the other I want to connect with a crossover cable to share internet. I know that I need to enable sharing on the LAN (windows 7 on the host comp and Ubuntu on the one that needs internet) but it only shows my wireless network connection and not the LAN on the windows 7 comp. I checked tutorials online and they all assume I can get to the sharing option for the LAN so what do I do? I hope this makes sense.

I would get rid of the cross over and get a type A standard and it should work.

I see that there is something going on with the internet because the older system(Ubuntu) is showing what appears to be an active connection but it keeps saying connection lost. I think I need to set the IP and subnet mask. I don't know how to do this though on Windows or Linux or if this is even the problem. The tutorials I found online all say

step 1: connect the crossover cable to the two PCs

step 2: on the PC with internet, go to network settings, then change adapter settings and find the LAN. Right click it and go to properties then sharing and enable allow other comps to share this internet connection.

The problem is that the LAN does not show up just my wirless connection to the router and that does not give me the option to share anything.

I order to cross link and have one computer act as the inter face for a sceond computer to the internet, you have to have both using the same O/S.

Doing what you want to do, with out having any experance and using differant operating systems and older computers, the easist way for you to get this other lap top on line is for you to do as I recommaned in my earler responce.

If you keep going the way you think and are trying, you will never get them on line and may even dammage both computers.

Then you get to buy TWO NEW computers and start over.

@OP:
Check out the following links:
[ubuntu] internet connection sharing between ubuntu and windows 7 - Ubuntu Forums
Scroll down to the Client PC section to configure Ubuntu: internet - Sharing Connection to other PCs (Via Wired Ethernet) - Ask Ubuntu

Basically, setup Windows 7 (host PC) to share Internet from your wifi connection. Then for the Ubuntu PC (client PC), set it up as outlined in the 2nd link under Client PC section.

I order to cross link and have one computer act as the inter face for a sceond computer to the internet, you have to have both using the same O/S.
Sorry but no; that's totally false. Heck, I've even shared my desktop ethernet with a PlayStation 2 before to get internet to it...

But the older comp with Linux does not have wirless capabilites. What else can I do?

Thanks for the link Carnage. I am checking it out now.

But the older comp with Linux does not have wirless capabilites. What else can I do?

Thanks for the link Carnage. I am checking it out now.

No problem.

Basically what you'll have to do is, setup Windows 7 (host PC) to share Internet from your wifi connection. Then for the Ubuntu PC (client PC), set it up as outlined in the 2nd link under Client PC section.

The second link says that the sharing option will not be available if I only have one network connection. I think this is my problem but I don't know what that really means or how to fix it.

Back
Top Bottom