Connecting PCs through USB confusion.

porgorg

Baseband Member
Hi, I've bought a USB3 cable that was advertised as a USB 3.0 Std A Plug to A Male M/M Superspeed Cable. I attached it to my desktop and laptop in the hope that I could use it to transfer data but neither machine was accessible from the other.

After a bit of research I discovered the easy transfer cable with the transfer blob in the middle was really what I was after. The cable I had (A/A as I understand) seemed to be for connecting non-PC devices like modems and printers.

Do I use some bridging software with this cable I've got to be able to transfer data? It annoys me after all the videos and articles I've see and read I've never heard of only particular USB cables can transfer data or am I missing something?

Any help with this would be appreciated. thanks.

Why won't you just host one of your computers as an ftp and download the data from the other computer. I know a program for this, I think its called xerver or xserver, don't remember, its free btw.

Thanks but surely that'll take ages as my speed's only 20Mb/s, I was hoping I could use it when ever I have to transfer 100GB, for example, so I could go at 5Gbps.

Hi, I've bought a USB3 cable that was advertised as a USB 3.0 Std A Plug to A Male M/M Superspeed Cable. I attached it to my desktop and laptop in the hope that I could use it to transfer data but neither machine was accessible from the other.

After a bit of research I discovered the easy transfer cable with the transfer blob in the middle was really what I was after. The cable I had (A/A as I understand) seemed to be for connecting non-PC devices like modems and printers.

Do I use some bridging software with this cable I've got to be able to transfer data? It annoys me after all the videos and articles I've see and read I've never heard of only particular USB cables can transfer data or am I missing something?

Any help with this would be appreciated. thanks.
You need an "easy transfer cable" like you already stated. You can't do what you want with the cable you have. The "blob" in the middle of the Easy Transfer Cable is a controller card that the software interacts with.

Why won't you just host one of your computers as an ftp and download the data from the other computer. I know a program for this, I think its called xerver or xserver, don't remember, its free btw.

FTP wouldn't even be necessary - just use a crossover cable, setup a bridged connection, and transfer files over ethernet cable via the local LAN.

FTP wouldn't even be necessary - just use a crossover cable, setup a bridged connection, and transfer files over ethernet cable via the local LAN.
So would it be possible for me to get 125MB/s (a quick Google) using that method seeing as I've got Gigabit LAN on an Asus Max Gene V?

You need an "easy transfer cable" like you already stated. You can't do what you want with the cable you have.
So is the cable really for connecting devices or something else? I just don't see the difference as they're all passing data. Is it that the PC, or at least the OS, can't detect the cable?

Last edited by a moderator:
So would it be possible for me to get 125MB/s (a quick Google) using that method seeing as I've got Gigabit LAN on an Asus Max Gene V?
Up to that, if both PC's have gigabit ethernet adapters.

So is the cable really for connecting devices or something else? I just don't see the difference as they're all passing data. Is it that the PC, or at least the OS, can't detect the cable?

Like I said, software talks to that "blob" (which is a controller card) to tell it how to transfer data.

Just connecting 2 things with USB doesn't magically make them work together - there has to be software to talk to each other.

Like I said, software talks to that "blob" (which is a controller card) to tell it how to transfer data.

Just connecting 2 things with USB doesn't magically make them work together - there has to be software to talk to each other.
Bah, wasted cable then.
Okay, thanks for your help.
I'll have a go at setting up the bridged connection but will probably end up back here again. :)

You beat me to it :(

Doesn't have to be complicated though, connect the machines together, select them both as Home or Work Network, and share the files you want to copy, piece of cake! :D Did it the other day at work, much faster than copying between the two using a memory stick *yawn*

You beat me to it :(

Doesn't have to be complicated though, connect the machines together, select them both as Home or Work Network, and share the files you want to copy, piece of cake! :D Did it the other day at work, much faster than copying between the two using a memory stick *yawn*

Agree - if your on a home network, aslong as both are on the same wifi (router) your computers can share folders... just set up a Homegroup :cool:

But also, yes a male USB to male USB can in theory fry your USB ports.. like others have said you need a crossover cable, that allows data to cross back and forth. a normal usb emits power and data one way only.

:cool:

Back
Top Bottom