Connecting to a network to access a shared file from a remote location?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JB Rekit

In Runtime
I've been reading through this networking forum and either don't know what to search for or found the answer and didn't know it or understand it, but what I would like to be able to do is access and modify some files from shared folder(s) on my desktop at work on my home desktop and a laptop in the field. Is this something that can be done just through the network? Is a special software required? If so what/how?

Currently I have everything backed up on carbonite and I can download the file from anywhere, but if I make changes to it I need to email it to myself and remember to update the file at the office before making any additional changes there.

Thanks!

edit: And my office computer and laptop is Win7 x64, home comp is Vista x64

Logmein software would allow you to control your home PC from anywhere - then you could edit the files.

You can also RDP, but that is a little more tricky as you have to allow certain port access on your router, and then also get your public IP off your PC. All things that are done automatically with logmein.

Thanks, that looks like it would work pretty nice. A buddy suggested looking into Gbridge as well.

About the logmein, if I log into my work computer to access and modify a file, when I am modifying the file, say on autocad, would the program be running on the work computer or the one I was currently using? I know it doesn't tend to run well on a virtual pc or anything like that.

Thanks

Everything would be running on your home PC. All logmein is a glorified RDP session to any client PC that has the logmein client installed.

It's a free program and it does not require software installation on the PC you are using to log into a remote PC, it just requires a client install on the PC that is going to be remote controlled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom