Connecting my LAN via WiFi

SecurePoint

Solid State Member
I have this setup in my office which I want to troubleshoot. I am using the device ATT Unite which lets you connect 10 devices wirelessly to the internet. But I am using it to connect 1 Desktop wirelessly and then bridge that connection to other network devices. I get great speed and instant connectivity when I restart the ATT Unite (router you might call it). The connection stays on for 3 hours and then disconnects. I have set it to auto connnect and even set the IP address lease expiration for 999999. But it still disconnects after 3-4 hours. When I'm not in the office I still need the phone and fax to work at all times. They are connected via vonage. I have attached a jpg to show how I've set it up and perhaps can get help troubleshoot this connection. All IPs are assigned by ATT Unite currently. And I've reduced the IP range on ATT Unite to 192.168.0.90 - 192.168.0.99.

I've tried playing aroung giving static IPs to the Clients but then even Computer 1 looses connection.

Attachments

• Network Setup.jpg
    Network Setup.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 7
I would connect a PC to the hotspot directly. When the others lose connection see if the one on the hotspot loses it as well. If it doesn't then we know it's not ATT. If it does than it's on ATT's end or the hotspot device is faulty.

The connection when it is up is stable at all times? No slowing? Maybe try packet testing from the various PCs to see the speed.

In all honesty the drops all the time seem like it's either not on your end,it's faulty devices, or bad wiring somewhere.

EDIT: also why route the connection through a computer? Why not just plug the router into the switch?

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments. I did try connecting the Att unite directly to the desktop and making that into a network bridge but that didn't work. Neither with auto IP for the nic nor with static IP. Unfortunately my switch does not have a USB port. The Att unite comes with only a charger just like the cell phone, USB to a 2-prong plug. I wish it had an ethernet port. While I'm on the internet or using the connection it stays on. Its only when I leave that the connection dies after a few hours.

Thanks for your comments. I did try connecting the Att unite directly to the desktop and making that into a network bridge but that didn't work. Neither with auto IP for the nic nor with static IP. Unfortunately my switch does not have a USB port. The Att unite comes with only a charger just like the cell phone, USB to a 2-prong plug. I wish it had an ethernet port. While I'm on the internet or using the connection it stays on. Its only when I leave that the connection dies after a few hours.

What do you mean by leave? What is happening when you are there that isn't when you are gone?

By "When I leave" I mean when I leave the office and there is no one using the internet or phones.

Does the hotspot have a setting configured to turn off after a certain idle time?

That's strange. It's almost like it times out the tunnel. So your tunnel stays open as long data is being transported back and forth, but when the data stops the tunnel closes.

A possible solution would be to set up a responder server. A server that once ever 2 min or so sends out a packet. Just to keep the connection live.

This would be super simple to do.

It also might be a better idea to call the ISP and see if they have the connection set to a timeout.

Last edited:
I like the solution of setting up a responder server. I have never heard of it and googling it gives me too many off hits. Is it like runnig a batch file?
As regards to talking to customer support at ATT is going to be like pulling hair. They will not understand and if they do remotely understand they will say the device is not meant to support this kind of setup.
@CarnageX - The hotspot remains on at all times and I have configured it to "never timeout". I know it is on because I can connect to it from my cell phone as soon as I enter the lobby in the morning.

I like the solution of setting up a responder server. I have never heard of it and googling it gives me too many off hits. Is it like runnig a batch file?
As regards to talking to customer support at ATT is going to be like pulling hair. They will not understand and if they do remotely understand they will say the device is not meant to support this kind of setup.
@CarnageX - The hotspot remains on at all times and I have configured it to "never timeout". I know it is on because I can connect to it from my cell phone as soon as I enter the lobby in the morning.

You could probably just setup a computer to continually ping a random website like every 5 minutes or something. Doesn't need to be a dedicated server running it even lol. Unless Reapt means something else, that is.

You could probably just setup a computer to continually ping a random website like every 5 minutes or something. Doesn't need to be a dedicated server running it even lol. Unless Reapt means something else, that is.

That will work. This is essentially the same thing. A responder is just a service that sends a small packet on a timed interval to a destination. I call it responder because We use it to test connection speeds and drops. We set it to hit a destination on our network and to have it send back.

But In theory something like this would keep your network alive.

Just have it ping 8.8.8.8 :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom