Connecting my access point direct to my modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

deanos63

Baseband Member
i have a wireless access point connected to my PC, which i run a laptop and PS3 off of.

what i would like to know is, can i run the access point direct from my modem? rather then PC, this is so i don't have too turn my PC on if i want to access the internet using the laptop.

if i can what cable do i use, an ethernet or crossover?

cheers

p.s its a Linksys wireless access point wap11 (not a router)

i have a wireless access point connected to my PC, which i run a laptop and PS3 off of.

what i would like to know is, can i run the access point direct from my modem? rather then PC, this is so i don't have too turn my PC on if i want to access the internet using the laptop.

if i can what cable do i use, an ethernet or crossover?

cheers

p.s its a Linksys wireless access point wap11 (not a router)

As stated above, no, you will need a wireless router. You can still use your access point but this should be use as a repeater for better coverage. Your new setting should have the modem to wireless router to PCs. And your "leaving the PC on" should be solved since there is no dedicated PC for Internet connection, the wireless router will serve all three. Also, you need straight-through cables, (Ethernet cables can describe both straight-through and crossover cable so don't get confused with that).

Straight-through and crossover cable can be identified by holding the two ends side by side with the pin facing down. If the color coordination matches, it is a straight-through, if not it's a crossover.

Actually, you can. However, you shouldn't.

Right now your computer assigns another IP address to your ps3. If you set it up so your access point was connected to the modem, all of a sudden your modem would be assigning two IPs. And not all services provide more than one.

If you want to give it a shot anyway, log into your access point, and give it a static IP address. Then plug it into the modem. Unplug power from the modem for about a minute, then plug it back in. Now boot up your computer and connect to the access point (assuming you've got a wireless card in your computer.)

You should be able to connect at that point, as well as have your IP assigned by the modem. Whether or not you can connect your ps3 at the same time, is entirely up to your ISP, and how many IP addresses they assign to you.

Really though, it would be in your best intrest to just go buy a router. It doesn't need to be wireless as you already have an access point that you can configure to work with any non wireless router.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom