connecting minecraft over lan between linux ubuntu and windows 7 ultimate

RyJaMu

Solid State Member
me and my housemate both have minecraft on our computers hes got linux i have windows, we dont have internet at home yet but someone said if we had a router we could plug ethernet wires into them and it should work when you open would to lan. im at work atm and found a router box just wondering how would i set it up to work? thanks :)

Isn't really much you have to do - plug in the router, hook up to it, configure it if necessary, and done. Your connection will probably say "Local only" or something to that effect...but the router will do the work for you if your network card is set to auto config (default).

You'll just have to change a setting in the config file for the MC Server to open it up over LAN, IIRC.

yeah this will be without a server
well the server will be on my computer when im on but
so when i get home plug both computers into the router, open to lan on one world and should appear on the other computer?

yeah this will be without a server
well the server will be on my computer when im on but
so when i get home plug both computers into the router, open to lan on one world and should appear on the other computer?

Ah, so you're each just running the client instance and one of you is opening your world up to LAN - gotcha. Thought you meant you were running a MC Server over LAN.

As long as both computers recognize they're connected to the LAN, that should be all you need to do. If it doesn't, you may have to set static local IP's on your machines.

ok good :) sorry if i confused you there
not going to bother with ther server until i get internet and after christmas
is getting the computers to recognize they are on lan an easy thing or automatic, sorry for bothering you with these stupid questeions but im still a bloody idiot when it comes to these things

Like I said, should be automatic. Plug them in, and it should recognize the router's local network. So just plug them in, and then try to open your game up to LAN.

Back
Top Bottom