Connecting a computer to another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fjalle[FIN]

Solid State Member
Hi I need some help with Connecting my computer to a laptop I have the cable and all of the hardware needed, but its the about the preferencses that I don't have a clue.
Could someone help me and explain what I should do?
Or does someone know any internet pages were they explain how this is done?

I believe what we may need is information on what it is not doing.

This will work through software and it's built into Win XP and 2K but the problem is System 2 will be lagged by high CPU utilization. Buy a 5 port switch. Problem solved.

Well, Fjalle[FIN] mentioned that the cables and "hardware" were already present. Can you explain what hardware you have already?

Do you want to go from 1 pc directly to the other? Or do you have a networking hardware piece that you also wish to install. Please elaborate

I just want to send a file from my computer to the laptop. And by hardware I mean the networking hardware piece thats integrated on my motherboard, and its allready installed.

I have enabled the sharing option for the folder, and I can find the folder on the laptop through my computer but when I click on the folder the computer says that I don't have accses to the folder. Im using windows xp pro

hope this will help you help me :D

In that case, you'll need to purchase a small network switch, a couple of CAT5e patch cables or you can just by a CAT5e crossover cable and connect one end to the computer and the other to the laptop. The first solution is a little better and the second solution is a little cheaper.

-Mike

I already have a CAT5e crossover cable, but the computer say as I posted in my previuos thread.
And I have a switch in my adsl modem and both computers are connected to it but it won't work.
Thanks for try to help:)

Ok, lets clear things up real quick...

I already have a CAT5e crossover cable, but the computer say as I posted in my previuos thread. And I have a switch in my adsl modem and both computers are connected to it but it won't work

I'm not too sure what you mean by this but here we go..:)

You have a crossovercable, a switch in your adsl modem (with a few ports).

How do you have the computers wired?

You should have your computers connected to your switch with standard cables (Not Crossover cables) and check to see if they can communicate with each other by trying a ping test.

Once you can do this, let us know, we can take it from there.

ok, I've noticed that my post are a bit unclear.

at the moment i have both computers connected to the internet trough the adsl modem/switch(roadrunner 44,with 4 ports) with normal cat5e cabels.
But i have earlier tryed with a CAT5e crossover cable and then I can se the laptop trough my network places but when I click on the folder that the laptop is sharing the computer says

\\Laptop\upload is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resourse. contact the adminstrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
the network path was not found.

how do I ping test?:question:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom