Connecting 2 Computers To Use 1 Net Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.
Depends on the network connection, are you using DSL/ Cable or a dial up connection. Also need to know the OS on both systems.

Josh

Hey,

Its a cable connection and the 2 pcs operate WinXP with the main PC using Pro and other Home

Do you want it to be wired or wireless? Take into consideration that wireless is a bit more expensive, and is slower than a wired LAN.

you should have tried a search on Tech Forums before you posted this cos there is heaps of threads on this type of stuff.

If ur gonna go wired here are some options:

n e wayz. you can either use Internet Connection Sharing which means that I computer will access the internet directly and the other will connect through the first one.
The first computer will need two NIC's to allow it to connect to the modem and the other computer. You need a crossover cable between the two computers. Then use Network Setup Wizard, choosing 'this computer connect directly to the internet' for the computer connected to the modem and 'this computer connects to another computer which is directly connected to the internet' for the other PC.
Connecting the computers this way means that the first computer has to be on for the other one to be able to use the internet

The other way is that you can buy a router which you connect to the modem and anything that you connect to the router is able to access the internet. You need to set some things on the router in order to get the network going. Someone else can help u with that type of stuff. The way that I have done it is ive bought an ADSL Modem/Router in one which acts like a switch and has 4 ethernet ports. Both of these router ways allows any computer on the internet at anytime without any other computers having to be on.

Hope i could help at all
Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom