Connected Route

Status
Not open for further replies.

carl_t

Baseband Member
Hello all

Can someone please answer me this question ?

I have a router with 2 interfaces, 1 is the ethernet e0 and the other s0, it is on a 10.0.0.0 network. the serial interface interface is ip unmumbered so I presume this uses the same address as the ethernet interface, The router connects via the serial to my head office which is also on the 10.0.0.0 network. The router has no static routes entered, its just running eigrp. If a pc on the network in the remote office wanted to get onto another network or internet would this automatically get routed out of the serial interface.

I.E will everything get routed out even though there is no default or static routes set. (does it just use the connected route for ANY outgoing traffic thats not on the 10.0.0.0 network.)

Hope you can answer

thanks a million

Carl

Asnwer is no, The router will drop the packet if it didnt have a defult route ( if the ip was diffrent than the ips in the netowrk). and i think both e1 and s0 needs to get a diffrent ip if u ment ( unumberd) so host(pc) e1 and s0 must have diffrent ips if they are on a diffrent subnet. s1 must get the second ip from s0l like x.x.x.20 ( s0 ) x.x.x.21 (s1). To make a defult route and the internet connection end u need to enter defult route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 .
Hope this helps

So the connected route would only see anything on the 10.0.0.0 network unless a default route was set then ?

Also does the serial have to have the same ip as the connected network ?

Defult route will be needed if u need a connection to the internet, but u have eigrp running so that will work as well but if u entend to connect to the intetnet u will defently need a defult route on the router that doesnt have the ip address. A routing protocol will make the router know about the diffrent netowrks. so that wont be a problem.

s0 and s1 must be on the same subnet. so if s0 is 192.168.22.1 255.255.255.0 s1 must be somthing like 192.168.22.2 255.255.255.0

So if im running eigrp would I still need a default route to the internet ? or would eigrp find it ?

Also what exectly does connected route mean, does it mean the network attatched is on the same subnet ?

ull need a defult route for the internet. eigrp is for internal netowrk not the net.

hope i asnwerd all of ur qustions

Also what exectly does connected route mean, does it mean the network attatched is on the same subnet ?

You seem to know your stuff :)

Could you tell me if
a)you can load balance a switch
b)do you need to use eirgp etc to allow load balancing over serial interfaces to another network and how would you do this

thanks man

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom