Connected to the internet but can download or play online games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jedwhite

Solid State Member
Im connected to the internet and can surf the web but when i try to use applications such as steam or bittorent it says no connection detected, yet i can surf the web fine.

ps: im using a wireless usb adapter and all my firewalls are down along with my virus protection but it still doesnt work.

It worked when I used my router but that was awhile ago, I recently moved to a new apartment and got fiber optics and so i have to use a wireless usb adapter to pick it up because theres no other way.

are you sure the wireless connection is enabling more than your internet? there might be something on that wirless router that is disallowing you to use that said feature.

If you mean like the firewall or pop up blocker then yes i have disabled those as well but the problem still persists, this is a very annoying problem im having and i cant find anything like it out there on the internet.

Have you also tried turning off the router and turning it back on? Also are you sure ALL firewalls are off, even Windows Firewall? Also can you call your ISP and ask them if their firewall is on and if they can disable it?

Happened to me before, IE and Firefox were working fine, but Limewire/uTorrent and my online games weren't working, so I called my ISP and asked them to turn of the firewall on their side.

Ok the only thing i think it could be is that my isp is firewalled, can i manually work around this or do i just call at&t and get em to shut it off?

You can call the ISP and get them to take it off. You can set your own firewall after on your PC, so you won't be at much risk.

Edit: I think the reason their firewall blocks stuff like games and clients, is because those ports aren't needed for everyday access to the internet. All they care about is you accessing the internet for your everyday surfing lol.

ok ill call my isp provider tommoro, and see what happens. Ive tried everything and this seems to be the correct because it started after i got a new isp provider so thanks for the info i would have never though of that. Im hoping this works so ill see what happens, if this doesnt work then i think im screwed.

ok ill call my isp provider tommoro, and see what happens. Ive tried everything and this seems to be the correct because it started after i got a new isp provider so thanks for the info i would have never though of that. Im hoping this works so ill see what happens, if this doesnt work then i think im screwed.
Hope all is well for you :). When you do it, be sure to post back your results so we would know if you got through or if we got to sort another way :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom