Connect my laptop to my router

Status
Not open for further replies.
NIC means Network Interface Card. I was looking at the 2 above. It appears to be the right one but perhaps you need to purchase another dongle that fits an RJ-45 cable.

Is the dongle attached to the cable (doesn't come apart)?

frankieee said:
NIC means Network Interface Card. I was looking at the 2 above. It appears to be the right one but perhaps you need to purchase another dongle that fits an RJ-45 cable.

Is the dongle attached to the cable (doesn't come apart)?

The dongle comes with my NIC card. It says RJ-45 cable, but it wouldn't fit into my cable modem box. So I'm not sure if they have sent me the wrong one or RJ-45 cable is not the cable I need.

I have already contacted the seller and hopefully we can resolve this issue soon. Thx again for all ur help.

BTW, what do I need for my NIC? another cable or another adapter? When you mean RJ-45 cable, is it the one that I use for my desktop? Those cable has one big Jack at each end?

RJ-45 is basically the color coding used for Ethernet.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/pcat/rj45__c1.htm

Your ISP might not offer more than 1 connection at a time, offering only 1 IP address. Your ISP may have a different cable because of this.

These are 2 options:
1. You need a NIC for your pc and a crossover cable to connect your pc to your laptop for peer-to-peer networking.
2. You might want to look into getting a router (of your own) to connect the ISP's network to your own network.

Let me know what the seller has suggested.

What is your setup? There seems to be more to this now that you've mentioned the pc...

Ok, I realized that my NIC cable is just a phone cable after I read the link you provided in your reply.

The cable comes with my NIC card is a phone cable cuz there are only Two wires in the jack. So I guess they sent me the wrong cable then.

I have a home network and it contains my PC, Web Server. Now I tried to connect my laptop with my router and my router is connected to my EarthLink cable modem. Therefore, all my machines can have internet access at the same time.

I use a D-Link router to do all this. Yes, I have only ONE Internet IP address. All the incoming internet traffic would redirect to my webserver only due to router setting.

I haven't yet received a reply from the seller and I will keep you updated. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom