confused about wireless connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

homerj14

In Runtime
ok well hey guys i have my pc at home and this week im buying an Apple I book sorry Im going for MAC but I heard these are great laptops well the reason is i like to study downstairs and listen to music and stuff but my computer and my internet is upstairs.. i have SBC Yahoo dsl that comes with the speed stream dsl box... well i want to get a wireless system so i can use my ibook downstairs but im confused.. if i buy a wireless network linksys box... and i still have sbc yahoo do i just get rid of the broadband box that they gave me and set up the linksys system??

phoenx is right you get a wireless router , plug the dsl modem into the wan port and any near by pc's or macs in to the lan ports

any device that is downstairs will pick up the wireless. Wireless is not perfect. Along with other dutties I install wireless networks for residential customers. There is a great difference in signal strength from one location to another and some is almost non existent...so i thought I would mention that.. when you configure
make sure your SSID and CHANNEL are the same on the router and remote device. Also if the remote device is 802.11b you have to use either " b " or " * and b " on the router . After you connect and can surf the web from the remote device set the security rename the SSID from the default set wep encryption or what ever is on the router and supported by the remote. Change the router password from default and tape it to the bottom of the router. I can not help you with the mac if you have problems . You might also want to turn off broadcast SSID also, the secutity is real,,,you do not want someone surfing in on your wireless.

phoenix1 No I do not...I work for a private company doing pc repair and networking, for residential and businesses.

WHY ARE YOU ON A KILLING SPREE OF CABLE INSTALLERS OR SOMETHING.?

LOL! No I just want then to start pushing our HomePlug products instead of Wi-Fi for home networking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom