Confused about download speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

TekBubs

In Runtime
Alright I thought I had a good download speed until I saw some posts on different forums saying how theyre getting 1mbps download speeds and up to 20 mbps download speeds...I always though my speed @ 740kbps was actually pretty good..I think im getting confused with the Mega BITS and mega BITES though...Ill post a a screen shot..can someone tell me if Im getting a decent download speed?

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/818/fffffx.jpg

Ah the picture wont ****..anyways yeah just click the link

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Why is wo(rk) in the filter?

its the conversion of bits to bytes or somethign along those lines. I would say your dl speeds are a tad slow, but i'm on slow dsl so I don't really know.

work.

Thing you should remember, it depends on that servers load, try going to speedtest.net, and click on the gold pyramid, report back with those results, make sure that no one is downloading/uploading anything during that test.

If anyone bothered to look at my picture you will see that its not 90 KB/ps its 600 kb/ps (Even though I usually get 700)

Cool down there, Angus McAngry....

I didn't look at your picture because it was irrelevant. I replied to you to basically state a little insight to the conversion. All I was saying is that if your ISP states that they are offering you 740kbps, then that is roughly 90KBps

And no, according to your photo, it's actually downloading at 600KB/ps not 600kb/ps there is a huge difference in the "KB" versus "kb"... all I was doing was trying to help you understand that.

Your file is downloading at 602 kilobytes per second:
602 kilobytes =
bits 4931584
bytes 616448
kilobits 4816
kilobytes 602
megabits 4.703125
megabytes 0.587890625

sorry mike i wasnt in a good mood last night D: but just by looking at the picture do you think i have a relatively good download speed?

Your download speed as tested on SpeedTest and what your ISP say are only part of the equation when you download a file. You have to remember that the server you connect to also needs to be taken into account. The amount of people connected to that server at any given time, how many requests that server has to fill at any given time, along with having to fill up multiple download ques all at the same time.

So while you may normally get over 740mb/s that server load may have been high at the time and its bandwidth being distributed to many more people than normal which cause the download speeds to be slower.

You can go back today and download the same file and get a different speed yet again. It is never constant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom