ConfoundingIP Addresses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DefragMyHead

In Runtime
Ever since I got my router I have taken an interest in trying to undestand IP address and the like, but I am hopelessly confused. There are so many things that confuse me. I don't know how my linksys router IP address can be the same as a million others ( I mean they all have the same default, right?) I don't understand the difference between an external and internal IP, and I dont know why the shields up test says I'm at a secuirty threat because it can read my internal IP address (my router, I think)...MAC addresses, dont understand...I'm just lost and I have been reading a lot. Can anyone link me somewhere where I'll be able to start to try to understand this stuff in the simplest terms possible? Thanks, I hate not understanding stuff.

www.google.com : endless possibilities, get yours... j/k

Well, first off, google is a great source. As for some of your questions, about the IP you get from router, well, you have a subnet mask, which as far as I know, is what your router is, and that's your external IP, your internal is your actual PC, you see, the subnet mask is the "mask" that "hides" your PCs, and "gives them their IPs from it's own." And, if you're not connected to the net, which is where the whole IP scheme comes into play, then yes, you have the same IP as everyone else, becasue there isn't anything to allocate you an IP. And with the threat thing of reading your internal IP, that just means that anyone looking can check and see your IP, because you don't have a firewall or anything. Sorry about my organization, I was just scrolling up and down trying to answer your questions. Note: I'm probably wrong, but this is how I understand IP addresses, and yes, it is a very confusing subject, and I'm actually trying to find info myself, as I've gotten a few sources, I'd still be glad to hear other's input.

-SkyHi

your "external" ip is the ip address you are given by your isp. this is usually dynamic, meaning that it will normally be different every time you connect.

your "internal" ip is the ip address for each computer in your LAN. you can either make this dynamic or static, based on your preference. if you have dial-up or do not access the internet through a router, or only have one computer, this will most likely not exist for you. your internal ip = external ip.

subnet masks allow a network to operate under a defined set of ip addresses. this is something you will want to do some research on, as subnets can get a little confusing if you have no idea what they do.

mac addresses are signatures built into your network card or other hardware that uniquely identify it. these do not[normally] change.

as for your security threat, i don't know. you probably don't have one.

ok well, as far as I know all linksys routers of the model I have have default IP address of ***.***.*.***, so if they all have that IP address , then that means I have that IP address, so how in the hell do I get anything done on the net if I dont have a unique IP address...?! Again, I don't really know what I'm talking about haha, but Im eager to learn haha

there, edited it. but, like i said, i thought all these routers had the same default IP address, so what gives...lemme check my IP address to make sure...

your router probably is 192.168.1.1. that's an internal address and doesnt have to be unique. only your external ip addresses will be unique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom