Configuring ethernet ADSL modem (UK)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMT

In Runtime
Hi.

My friend has a broadband modem + 1 router (combo) running via ethernet that he needs configured. His ISP says that his IP will be dynamically asigned when he connects (which I don't understand, because I thought broadband connections had a static IP address), so I dunno if this is the problem or what. As you can probably tell, I'm not experienced in the world of broadband/networking (I'm a slow 56K'er :( ). Are there any other settings to be altered before he can connect to his ISP server? It also says that the DNS server will be dynamically asigned too, so I'm not sure what that means.

Where should he set the server he needs to connect up to, etc?
Please, can anybody help?! Help would be best from UK peeps, since that's where he is, but any help would be great!

Thanks.
TMT. :cool:

eh most likely his connection is cable I presume? dynamic is when the ISP acts as the DHCP. The cable modem is unique, and acts as a dialer once you connect to the network. I believe all you have to do is connect everything. If you run XP pro then it will automatically be assigned a lan ip from the router, assuming its a router/modem combo. make sure he asks his isp he def has a dynamic instead of a PPTP protocol.

I think he installed some kind of dialer software that he got on CD from his ISP, but if I were to check where he was connecting to, where would I check? Would it be the DNS server, or some other kind of IP address or something?

*Is a complete noob to broadband/networking*

Thanks.
TMT. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom