Computer freezes when i connect to Wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.

developer

Baseband Member
Hi everyone!

I have a strange problem (according to me atleast).
I have a laptop (Acer Travelmate 240) with the following specs :

P IV 2.0 Ghz, 256 MB DDR RAM (266 Mhz), 30 GB HDD.

Now my computer used to restart some times (like some one removed the battery, i.e. a hard reset). So i bought a new 512 MB DDR RAM (Kingston).

I now put in a new Wifi PCMCIA card (802.11 g). Now whenever i insert the card, withing 30 seconds the computer freezes. The light of the PCMCIA card (both power and Wifi) go off. When i take out the card, the computer restarts (hard reset, like some one pulled the power). This happens every time i insert the card, within 30 seconds. The computer freezes for sure but many times doesnt restart on its own and I have to remove the battery.
I have tried using the Wifi with just one RAM chip in (256 or 512) or even with both, but it simply keeps freezing every time i put in the Wifi card.

Please help me. Any suggestion will do as i am completely clueless.

1. What is the brand name of the card? I'm guessing LinkSYS?

2. When the computer freezes, have you tried to wait for a minute and see if it responds?

3. By freezing, does the mouse pointer move? Or does the entire laptop stall?

Thanks for the reply.

1. Its a company named Compax (I am in India).

2. Computer freezes, for indefinite time (i waited for 10 minutes once) and generally hard resets when i eject the card.

3. Nothing works, no key, mouse, display etc. The hard disk access light glows continously (generally it blinks). The entire laptop stalls.

I have noticed another thing. If i put in the card, but dont connect to any network, the computer works fine. I have only one network around me so when i connect to it, the computer hangs.

I have seen this happen when people try to connect to the internet over GPRS(general packet radio service) not wi fi tho but still using a wireless internet card. The problem was a compatibility issue. I suggest to try a different card if accessible if not try going to a different hotspot see if still freezes...sometimes it could also be the wi fi network that you are on...

Good luck

Thanks i will try that. These days i am in a university in UK and dont travel around much, so have only one Wireless network and only one WIfi card. But i will defenitely try that as that seems a nice idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom