Computer disconnects when other connects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minael

Beta member
-My computer is on the lynksys router, as well as my sister's

-my computer is mostly kept on while hers is kept off most times

-Whenever her comp is turned ON my connection to the internet is disconnected and restarted causing me to disconnect from online games.

-I have tried lots of things from changing settings like computer name but that's not working....

any suggestions?

It kinda sounds like they have the same IP address.

Have you set your IP addresses manually on each computer? Or, have you set your router to assign an IP address to each computer?

Are you sure that it is a router and not a switch? Most ISPs only allow one computer to access the internet at a time. With a router, the router appears as one computer and other computers connected aren't seen by the modem. With a switch the modem is able to see all the computers and will only let one of the computers use that connection at a time.

verizon.net

I have both automatic detect

I am using verizon.net

its a router with 4 port switch

automatic detect... I dont get what you mean... But if that means what I think it means, then it wont let you get on because they know that your are trying to use 2 computers on only one can be on at a time I guess.

I am unsure about what neb1211 was talkin about the switch being able to see both of the computers.

Are you sure that it is just a switch, because technically a router is also a switch. Let me know whenever you can.

EDIT: Autodect, now I know what you mean, That took me a second. Make you should just go in and make the IP Addresses static. If you have a GUI on that thing and an IP that you can use to get connected to it to make changes, I think that qualifies it as a Router. So I think that dismisses the possibility of the ISP detecting multiple machines.

I am unsure of anything.
at the moment, if they dont want both machines on at same time, it is still happening because when sister's computer turns on it disconnects me but reconnects me, and both computers are online....
if i could get my computer to do that without disconnecting me.....

routing enabled? whats that fowadring?
doon't know. think i am going to just survive through it i can disconnect her from the router, then when her computer is turned on fully i recoonect her to the router.

I know verizon accepts the usage of routers and networking they sell wireless routers, i even ordered a router from them,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom