Computer Connects to Network but not Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Napster

In Runtime
I have a laptop i am trying to fix for a friend. It is a Compaq Presario C700 Notebook. The owner said it had viruses and I have ran malwarebytes which found a few and now every scan shows up nothing for spybot sd and Mb. The problem is that I can connect to my home network but I cannot get internet. It is running Vista Home 32-bit and network and sharing center will never show a line to the internet.

What I have tried:
I have tried both wireless and wired to my router and neither makes a difference. I have looked at the internet explorer options and it is not trying to use a proxy or anything. The LAN settings are to auto detect (I also tried manually configuring it). I have disabled protected mode which I read to do somewhere on the internet.

So ive checked the ip settings in explorer and on the network adapters and nothing seems to make a difference.

I am currently trying to install pdanet and see if it will connect through my phone tether and maybe try a different user account, but if anyone knows what might be causing this issue let me know thanks.

When you connect to the network, do you get an address via DHCP? Are your DNS and Default Gateway addresses correct?

Updating the driver is always a good thing to try, remove the adapter and the old driver and re-add the adaptor

im not 100% sure... I ran ipconfig and had an ip address but no gateway. I just manually put in the gateway and the icon in network and sharing center changed to my network name instead of unidentified. Also under ipconfig it says DHCP enabled: NO. This might answer that question.

I tried updating the driver also before.

You probably need to set the DNS Server address if DHCP isn't enabled. It'll be the same as your Default Gateway (the IP address of your router).

Just checking here, what was the IP address on the laptop? Did you set it, or was it already there?

If you set the laptop to automatically configure its IP address (i.e enable DHCP) does it get an address?

It's possible your router might have a MAC address list which it allows/denies internet access for, you could check into that as well.

Yes it gets an address, but wont say it has a gateway. It will sit there at identifying forever and when i /renew the connection it says

An error occurred while renewing interface wireless network connection: unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

and also I shouldnt have mac address filtering, I never set it up and Countless computers come into my house and connect with no problem at all. This is the first could it still be possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom