Complex and Weird Router problem

mdford

Beta member
I am using a Cisco Linksys Rounter, and the computer in question is a Compaq Presario F700 running windows Vista. The internal network adapter is a Atheros AR5007 running 802.11b/g.

Ok, the problem is My rounter is connected to the internet. Multiple other devices (PS3, Laptop running windows 7 starter, cell phones, etc) can connect to the Network AND the internet through the network. Furthermore, the computer I am having issues with it can connect to the internet through the network if I hardwire with an Ethernet cable to the router. However, when I use the wireless connection with this computer, it cannot access the internet through the network and has a Local Connection Only. If I diagnose the problem through the computer, it tells me "Cannot communicate with the Primary DNS Server (75.75.76.76) Netowkr Diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response"

I have tried steps to correct the problem, including reformatting the router, reformatting the computer itself, manually changing the IPv4 adress and DNS servers to the settings shown on my working laptop (DNS server 8.8.8.8?), letting windows Diagnostics try to fix it itself, changing all sorts of settings within the router (b/g mode, assigning special MAC permission, etc). Nothing has worked. I am at a loss, any ideas?

Hi mdford,

I don't know if your issue has been resolved or not but I just barely joined in and found this Thread. Anyway, regarding your issue...this is a very common issue between Vista and Atheros Wi-Fi driver, usually updating the driver to the most recent one resolves this type of issue. Visit Atheros site and download the driver. You will have to extract the folder then follow this Tutorial on how to manually install the driver.

An update will be appreciated.

Last edited:
I would check the ip setting for your wireless adapter as they may be set to static and therefore not grabbing a valid ip address/gateway address/dns from your router

Back
Top Bottom