Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Qwest

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

igamer

Solid State Member
Hey um.. i've been wondering.. is comcast better than qwest? or qwest is better than comcast? and i'm talking about speed. Help me please

Qwest vs Comcast
Which one's faster?

Depends on many factors..... Is Qwest Cable or DSL internet?

Generally, cable ISP's have you on a node that you share with your neighbors. This shared topology can slow you down during peak times. When I had Comcast at my apartment, it was $40ish a month (with cable tv subscription) for a 6 Meg connection... During the day, and in the evening, the speed was about 1.5 Meg and lower, and got up to 6 Meg during off-peak hours, around 2am and later.

The good thing about DSL is that your connection to the serving CO, or the neighborhood gateway, is that it is a dedicated piece of copper for only you.

The downside that not many are aware of with BOTH technologies, is that the ISP's backbone's are generally overbooked by a factor of 200-300%, sometimes more. This is a cost-cutting manuver, as many users generally will not be using the full 6 Meg's of bandwidth at the same time.

Best thing to do would be to figure out all the services available in your area, and see what packages each offers, and the cost of the packages. Also, talk with some of your neighbors, see what services/packages they have, see if you can try it out, and do some ping tests to various websites, google, yahoo, etc. etc. to see what kind of delay there is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom