Comcast users: Internet down?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg

Indeed.
How many peoples had their internet down? because ours was, and when we called to complain they said it was a national problem. If it was down any, you can call Comcast customer service and ask for credits for the number of days it was down and they'll give you your money back for those days.

ok, this morning a friend of mine told me this:

he has comcast cable internet service. it was running really really slow last night so he pinged sites like google and found that as soon as it was out of the comcast network, the ping went fast. he then went into the TCP/IP config and set the DNS servers to the ones he had with his Verizon DSL a year ago. he said that the internet then was blazing fast because no one was using the cable internet since it was "down".

so my question is this: is what he did possible? I'm not an expert but i do know a fair amount about networking and TCP/IP. I'm pretty sure DNS servers only assign your computer an IP address. so is he saying he was using a Verizon IP address? cable internet and DSL are two different types of connections to begin with. i don't think it's possible. it doesn't make any sense to me. can someone confirm that what he did isn't possible/wouldn't give him the results he said he got? if this is possible, how does that work? thx a ton for the help.

Comcast was having problems with their DNS servers. They have problems with them constantly. Ever since I was a Comcast customer I've had the problems. My main machine has a caching DNS server on it partially so I can continue to work during these problems, and partially becuase Comcast's DNS servers have been so slow for me I spend more time resolving addresses than I do downloading pages.

I'll be contacting Verizon shortly to switch to their service. Even if it is slower, its cheaper, and it works. (Of course, I wouldn't switch if I was on the low end of their speed range. I'd be happy if I could get 3Mbps from them.)

"My main machine has a caching DNS server on it partially so I can continue to work during these problems"

where can i get one of those programs?

bobafett573 said:
"My main machine has a caching DNS server on it partially so I can continue to work during these problems"

where can i get one of those programs?

Windows 2K and XP will cache DNS responses automatically, although its not very configurable. I'm using the djbdns dnscache service on my Linux box to do this.

mine was down for the past two days with intermittant problems since last week so wait you can call and ask for a refund for the days it was down

I have had so many problems with them over the past 18 or so months I don't want to deal with them anymore. A refund would be nice, but that doesn't mean its not going to happen again. I need to be able to work from anywhere in the world using resources anywhere in the world. If I have problems with my Internet connection I often can't work. And if I can't work, I don't get paid, and consequently don't eat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom