Comcast told me they cannot change my IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRACKSNACKS

Solid State Member
I called up Comcast to get my IP address and the first scrub told me he wasn't sure how to change an IP.. I told him to transfer me to someone who knows what they're doing.

So, I get on with this freak telling me to do ipconfig /release & /renew which I had tried about 12x before and it doesn't work.

He then puts me on hold for like 10 mins and tells me to go into Network connections and hit "repair" on my LAN connection which I do and it does nothing.

He says thats the only way he knows how.

How is it possible for your ISP not to be able to change your IP?

Yeah, you're not going to be able to change your IP by calling your provider, unless you get them to switch you to a static IP package. And those cost a good deal more money usually. And it won't help with your ping problems at all.

For that, you have to do a whack of troubleshooting on your system, and then moan to your ISP. They'll then proceed to tell you that everything is fine on their end, and that you need to replace ever single networking related piece of equipment between your computer and the modem.(Network card, cables, switches, routers, hubs, etc.)
And even after you do that, they still won't fix it.

This is all info you KNEW already. We told you this just the other day when you asked how to switch your IP. We gave you all your answers then and told you that it was very unlikely you would get it switched.

Yeah, you're not going to be able to change your IP by calling your provider, unless you get them to switch you to a static IP package. And those cost a good deal more money usually. And it won't help with your ping problems at all.

For that, you have to do a whack of troubleshooting on your system, and then moan to your ISP. They'll then proceed to tell you that everything is fine on their end, and that you need to replace ever single networking related piece of equipment between your computer and the modem.(Network card, cables, switches, routers, hubs, etc.)
And even after you do that, they still won't fix it.

Actually, legally they have to given a certain level of priority. In other words, respect them... narrow down your situation over the phone as best you can and ask them to change your external IP ... not your internal one (this saves them the headache of figuring out if you use NAT or not) It's usually not a big deal if you bring up a legal matter/etc. It's not something you can get away with once a week, however they are legally bound to this via contract .. at the paying subscriber's request. A lot of level 1-3 don't know this though and will give you a hard time if you tend to give them a hard time. So, don't go spouting of article #s of the Terms and Conditions.

But, all in all, most ISPs are required to change your IP at the subscriber's request.

Google...

There are many things available if you know where to look.

Also wording your searches properly help out a lot, choosing good key words will do the trick. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom