Color Coding

Status
Not open for further replies.

real_in

In Runtime
Hi Forum !!

well got a Question.. One of client has got networking through.. Netgear's VPN,(8Port) .. well the longest wire, i guess 80 feet or something, gives some problem.. i want to share.. it gives though connectivity of 100.00mbps but.. it doesn't send any data..

Like when we open some site, it does receive some data, but sends only 32 packets or so.. please guide me, also one thing i found amazing was.. (i m a noob in networking), that the crimping of the wire is in the following order ::

blue
blue'(here' means white having blue stripe)
brown
brown'
green
green'
orange
orange'

it is straight cable, but in some sorta tutorial, i read some different color coding.. is that the problem.. i have attached the image which i got from that very tutorial.

Please guyzz, do Help me, if i need to put a hub in between, have to change the crimping thing.. rest all Pcz on that network are working fine enuff.. they get connectivity and full speed.. :)

thanks & regards..

Attachments

• out2.gif
    12.7 KB · Views: 33
Csamuels, mate can u be a bit clearer.. shall i do this crimping to get proper connectivity, what about the other PCz which are connected to same switch.. please lemme know.. :)

Regards & Thanks
Realin!

Now I don't know toooo terribly much about networking, but I thought when you were going through a switch, typically you wanted a standard pinout? The industry standard pinout for that would be:

orange'
orange
green'
blue
blue'
green
brown'
brown

As seen on this page: http://tca-inc.net/Pinouts.html

Take care!

TCA said:
, typically you wanted a standard pinout?

The problem is that there are two "industry standard" pinouts that I come across regularly. There's EIA/TIA 568-A and EIA/TIA 568-B. The picture in the first post shows one, and you describe the other.

I've also seen some very wierd configurations that work, including the one that was described in the first post.

real_in, the question I have for you is this. Are you planning on redoing both ends of the cable? Or, just this one end? If you're planning on just redoing this one end, you're going to have to stick with what was on it, because it's not going to work any other way.

If you plan on recrimping both ends, it's up to you.

Personally, even though it's not a standard, I would stick with what has already been done. It makes it easier for you, because then all cables are crimped the same way. You don't have to guess which ones you've changed, and which ones you haven't.

The order of the colors doesn't matter as long as it is uniform on both sides (unless its a crossover). It can be hard to get a good crimp. take your time and make sure that the wires are all the way into the jack.

Thanks a lot guyzz.. it is been really helpful.. and i was able to run the whole network of above 15 computers smoothly i included.. a VPN and two hubs for that .. :)

lemme know is there a solution to join LAN cable .. i mean if it is broken in the middle or we gotta change the whole thing.. :)

regards..
Realin!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom