At college: can't connect to mIRC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

donkeykang

Solid State Member
Which setting should I put my mIRC so that I can connect? I'm at college behind a main firewall and I can't connect to anything. Also, if I need a proxy server, how do I go about using that?

The firewall has to be set to allow inbound and outbound traffic for IRC and it's specific ports. Most likely you do not have access right and the administrator has filter those ports. Proxy will not work either.

I was told that if I e-mailed the administrator that I could open some ports. Should I open any specific ports to allow it to work? Or...are there any settings I can try to make it work?

First email the administrator and ask him if you have the right to go on IRC, if he say you should be able to then obviously he's not blocking it and the problem may be on your computer. Maybe you have a firewall or you didn't configure the client correctly?

Im confused now. I told my firewall to give bit torrent ports 6881-6999. thats local, right? and the problem i seem to be having is local, right? as in, the admin has ports closed. so im ok with my firewall settings, or do I need to change those to whatever i decide to change my bt client to the irc ports?

IRC is blocked. I went to tech support today and they said that it's considered entertainment software and is given a low que. So how do I get around this?

The main admin told us at orientation that we can download, but it's discouraged. I guess the only time it would work would be late at night when the que is open somewhat. Can someone explain DC++? Or Port Tunneling? I'm trying to get this to work

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom