City of Winchester

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattlucas

Beta member
I am Matt Lucas with the City of Winchester.

I have a situation and i would like some ideas and suggestions.

We are currently using norton ghost and sysprep to create a master image of a certain series of computers and then when we get new ones we restore from our master image. This approach is not working well for us and we have been running into problems like: a slightly different network card on a new machine that does not match the image and we have to go find the drivers for it, booting up off the norton cd on some machines will not see the network card, ect.....

I am in the process of finding and testing an enterprise solution. I have been testing Acronis SnapDeploy 2.0 and like the idea of having 1 master image and templates to specify what to do with the image like static IP, install software, joining domains, set admin password. Also if the image is different that the destination you are sending it to, for instance the image is of a optiplex desktop and we are sending it to a latitude, it will search and install drivers from our library (which we will have to create).

Any ideas would be helpful, thanks.

Matt Lucas
mattlucas@ci.winchester.va.us
Network & Computer Support Tech.
City of Winchester
15 North Cameron St.
Winchester, VA 22601
(540) 667-1815 ext.1496

Well you will come into driver issues no matter what you do. Cause no image can include all the drivers for every system configuration out there. The Disc would be 3 Dual Layer DVD's in size if that was the case. So other than the SnapDeploy you could try a Network install.

Welcome to Tech-Forums Matt.

I moved this to Networking as it sounds like it may be more than just a Windows problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom