Cisco ASA config rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

al_pha

Beta member
Hi all,

I dont have much experience with Cisco firewalls, but I'm going through some configs and am looking for some confirmation.

I believe the config I see permits Any to Any, essentially making the firewall pointless.

Here are the access-control lists:

access-list acl-outside extended permit icmp any any
access-list nnt-inside extended permit ip object-group chr-cabr-net any
access-list vpn-chr-swcr extended permit ip object-group chr-cabr-grp object-group chr-swcr-grp
access-list acl-inside extended permit ip any any
access-list acl-inside extended permit ip object-group chr-cabr-hmcr-mds-user object-group hisc-hmcr-db-grp
access-list acl-inside extended permit ip object-group chr-cabr-hmcr-mds-user object-group hisc-uat-icshmcr-grp
access-list vpn-hisc-regn extended permit ip interface outside object-group hisc-net-mgmt
access-list vpn-hisc-regn extended permit ip object-group chr-cabr-hmcr-mds-user object-group hisc-hmcr-db-grp
access-list vpn-chr-mpck extended permit ip object-group chr-cabr-grp object-group chr-mpck-grp
access-list vpn-shin-regn-uat extended permit ip object-group chr-cabr-hmcr-mds-user object-group hisc-uat-icshmcr-grp
access-list vpn-chr-cabr-mdcl extended permit ip object-group chr-cabr-grp object-group chr-cabr-mdcl-net

There are no explicit deny lists at all, so I believe that one line above opens up the firewall to Any Any entirely.

Is anyone able to confirm this?

Or is there something else in the config I should be looking for relating to the access-control lists. I can't see anything which connects/links to them.

I'm no expert on ACL's but that looks like it is permitting internal traffic communication. It doesn't look like it is granting external traffic. But like I said, I'm no expert.

It depends where is that particular ACL applied to. I'm guessing the internet ethernet device inbound?

Yes, the line that you have highlighted believe it or not is EXTREMELY common. It's usually setup by admins setting up multiple ACLs on different devices within different networks. So for instance, if within your company you have 3 different networks... let's say: 10.0.1.0, 10.0.2.0 and 10.0.3.0 then each would most likely be using a pix or an asa with that line dictating that there are no set traffic rules if the networks want to talk to each other. It basically states that unlimited ip communication is possible in every direction from or to any one of those networks... internal only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom