Choosing a router

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihealspys

Beta member
i have a Arris TG862G/CT gateway that I'll put into bridge mode when i get the router.I have comcast cable. My download speed is 25 mbps. Would a G router be noticeably better than an N? My purpose is for gaming wirelessly. Should I go with an older model with this gateway?

Might be good to tell us what you want and links. :)

You might want N. Most new routers are N. It has a longer wireless range.

I have a D-Link DGL-4500. Works perfect for me.

Might be good to tell us what you want and links. :)

You might want N. Most new routers are N. It has a longer wireless range.

I have a D-Link DGL-4500. Works perfect for me.

N has a shorter range than G. The 2.4GHz band that G is on travels further than the 5GHz band that N is on.

I would go with a NETGEAR for features and go with AMPED WIRELESS!!!! if you want really good range. (however amped has been adding a lot more recently tho!!)

BTW there's an ARRIS-OC32 access point that flips out around me. I use the amped wireless wifi analytics app to see that and it shoots up IN STRAIGHT LINES!! from -30+dBm to -100dBms a lot... sometimes it calms down and other times it shoots up and down constantly.

Honestly, whatever router you get, I'd make sure it's compatible with DD-WRT firmware. It gives you much more flexibility over the stock firmware of pretty much any router.

This is what ARRIS-OC32 does!!!!

ARRIS_OC32.png

It does this all the time...

My network card is Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100). Do i need a certain router for this?

My network card is Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100). Do i need a certain router for this?

No, you don't need a certain one; the only thing really to look for (if you wanted it), would be for a router that has Gigabit ports; but this is only really necessary if you're going to be doing large file transfers over your network.

No, you don't need a certain one; the only thing really to look for (if you wanted it), would be for a router that has Gigabit ports; but this is only really necessary if you're going to be doing large file transfers over your network.

Is the Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) n or g?

The b/g/n protocols are only for wireless. Wired doesn't have a protocol like that; it's usually just measured under speed (10/100/1000 mbit).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom