Checking who is on my Network

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also yea I mean I know how to find my MAC Addy and such this is a home network so I can take the computers in the house on and off the network, really just want to check out if there is more than one computer on the network when I know only mine should be and then remove it...

Also yea I mean I know how to find my MAC Addy and such this is a home network so I can take the computers in the house on and off the network, really just want to check out if there is more than one computer on the network when I know only mine should be and then remove it...

In that aspect there has to be a way to connect to the router and see who is connected to it. Either thru the web interface or something liek that.;)

What about a port scanner? I use it to find the names and ip addresses of pc's logged onto my network. I got a free one from majorgeeks.

you could get your acces points to not broadcase their SSID - that willl help conceal it from others.

it doesn't really hide the AP. the second it sends a packet it can be discovered. i've read that disabling SSID broadcasts you can have trouble with automatic roaming.

if you want to keep people out then use a MAC address filter. then nothing but an authorised MAC can use the AP. of course people can spoof it but it does make things more difficult when coupled with WPA. once people have to spoof a valid MAC, find an encryption key and authenticate themselves they tend to see your neighbour as a target instead of you.

I just need to be able to see who is on my network how do I use that port scanner

Going by what you want to accomplish within your post (to see who is connected to your WiFi network) a port scanner won't help. A port scanner will simply tell you information about ports open on your computer (or a computer on your network). It has nothing to do with tracking down and removing unwanted computers using up your bandwidth.

Going by what you want to accomplish within your post (to see who is connected to your WiFi network) a port scanner won't help. A port scanner will simply tell you information about ports open on your computer (or a computer on your network). It has nothing to do with tracking down and removing unwanted computers using up your bandwidth.

True it won't help him track down anyone. But it does give the Ip address and name of the pc on his network. So if it shows 5 pc's and he only has three then it would give him a place to start no.

True it won't help him track down anyone. But it does give the Ip address and name of the pc on his network. So if it shows 5 pc's and he only has three then it would give him a place to start no.

He can just log into his gateway/router for that information. I think that this thread just went full circle :) Yup, it sure did....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom