Changing user passwords in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

miller9

Beta member
Ive got a windows 2000 server and running XP on the work stations.

I want to allow users with the correct rights, the ability to change passwords for other users, using a shortcut placed on the desktop, are there any utils out there that will allow me to do this?

I know you can add the admin pack to 2000 desktops, is there something similar for XP?

thanks

You are talking about MMC console I think. You can build a console interface that will allow the user access to specific areas of the console, so you can have security, as well as give them the ability to do what you want.
Good Luck

that would be usefull, but i dont seem to have active directory users and computers as a snap in to add on MMC? is this possible in XP?

If your talking domain accounts, then standard users will not be able to adjust the passwords. There should be a snap in for users and Groups, and that will handle the local accounts.
If you want to play with domain account, you have to have permissions first, then the program second. The Admin pack might have this, but I am still on an NT4 domain, so I don't have the use of AD at the moment...

tried to use the

net user <username> * /domian

command but keep getting a system error 1355

this would do the trick if i could get it to work!

Ive just upgraded form NT4, so having these teathing problems...
I work in a school and want to give the staff the ability to change passwords in class for those who have forgot them..

There are tools to do this, I just can't remember what they are. I worked in an AD environment for 3 years, and then moved back to NT4 when I switched jobs...
I will see what I can find...

From what I can gather (old friends at old job) there is an admin pack that is needed before you will see the correct snap in for AD. So to answer your first question, Yes there is an admin pack that is installed for XP. I think you can use the Win2k version unless someone knows different...
Good luck in this...

thanks for your help..

got the admin pack did the trick, seems the earlier trouble i was having was related to the machine i was using not having DNS installed on it properly, which is why i was getting the error messages!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom