Changing the serial number of a cable modem

gem1n1

Beta member
Actually I would like to change the MAC address and serial number. I know it can be done by editing the modem's bitfile but I can't seem to find this. Supposedly, certain firmwares allow you to set the serial through 192.168.100.1/08- [serial] but apparently mine does not.

If someone could steer me in the right direction, I would appreciate it. :rolleyes:

Okay, firstly that isn't your "serial number". It's your IP Adress.

You can NOT change your modems MAC address either. It's hard coded into the components.

Your IP address is coded by the router firmware, so using a firmware that uses those ranges or allows you to set those ranges is your only way.

HOWEVER, those IPs are ohnly seen inside your network. Outside, the internet sees only the IP address your ISP Assigns.

Anyone else want to contribute a ridiculously uneducated answer and make a fool of themself?

My first thought is that this thread needs to be locked. Let us refrain from the likes of the earlier post, or this will get shut down.
  • 1. Changing a serial number. There is no reason to change a serial number, as it has no bearing on anything on anything other than distinguishing that particular cable modem from another of the same exact vendor and model, like the VIN on a car. If you don't want to see it, peel the sticker off. Something like this would only be the case if said modem is "hot"...... stolen, so lets not even go there.

• 2. Changing a MAC address. A MAC address is a hexadecimal 6 byte layer 2 address which is unique to each device. Typically noted as either 01-23-45-67-89-AB or 0123:4567:89AB. For the MAC address on the interface facing your local network, there really shouldn't be any scenario imaginable where this would need to be changed. If you are trying to change the MAC address on the interface which faces the ISP, this is something that again shouldn't need to be done, unless it is for some nefarious purpose. If you are wanting to change the MAC on the interface which faces the ISP, then you will need to look for help elsewhere, as the reason is something which will most LIKELY violate the ISP's Terms of Service, which would fall under Forum rule #6, and result in a locked thread, so again, no need to discuss.

• 3. As patonb mentioned, from your original post, the number that you mentioned in the original post is an IP address, 192.168.100.1 /8 (255.0.0.0)....... (although, the default subnet mask is TYPICALLY a /24 or 255.255.255.0, not a /8.
  • A. Anyways, changing the IP address on the WAN side might not be a possibility without calling your ISP. Really though, calling the ISP would be your best bet, otherwise you'd have to keep the modem powered off long enough for the DHCP address lease to be up (if your WAN address is even DHCP address and not a static address. If your reasoning for changing the WAN IP is legitimate, they should be able to do that for you.
  • B. If you are looking to change the IP on the LAN side, that shouldn't be an issue. Post up the make and model of the modem in question, and we can help you to get that changed. The more information you provide, the easier it will be.

You can change the LAN (user) side IP address of the modeum/router by going into the setup screen and select the LAN settings.

Very easy to do and ALL modeums/routers allow you to do this.

Bottom line is this site cannot help you do something like this as it is against the rules.
One correction to other's answers though, he was not saying 192.168.100.1/08- [serial] was the serial number. He was saying the part within the brackets contains a serial number and happens to precede the ip address info in the bitfile. The most I know about this bitfile is that it exists, as for its format and how to modify it, you will not find that info here.

Back
Top Bottom