Changed Workgroup Name and all My Services were disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.

cerberus98

Baseband Member
Hi everyone. i have a fairly large problem. I changed my computers workgroup from MSHOME to HOME to match all the other computers on my network and when i restarted the computer it stopped all of my SERVICES i wasnt even able to setup a new connection, open the device manager or anything i was eventually able to create a new connection by starting a few services but i still have lots to enable and dont know what obnes i should i also cant change my workgroup back because it says. "You can change the name of this computer. You must install networking before you can change this computers domain membership"
I also get an "error 1068 the dependency service or group failed to start" when i try to start some services.

Any help in getting my computer back to what it was would be appreciated i have tried to go back to a restore point but it says system restore is not enabled when it was before.
Even just a list of what services i should and shouldnt start would be a great help

What Operating System are you using?

Are you an Administrator?

Did you just change the name or run the OS's Wizard to change the workgroup?

Im using XP Pro Im administrator and i just changed the name by going control panel system computer name -change

I tried changing all the services to automatic and then restarted the computer and they all of them just abouts went back to disabled

to fix error:
You can change the name of this computer. You must install networking before you can change this computers domain membership

Make sure your "computer browser" service is running. Mine was set to "automatic" on a Windows 2003 R2 server but for whatever reason the service was stopped. When I started the service I could then change the previously disabled domain dialog box as it was no longer gray'ed out.

Good Luck,
Phillip

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom