change router settings to a hub

Status
Not open for further replies.

GJCamaro

Solid State Member
i know what i want to do, and it is this
i have a wireless router, SMC 802.11b
i have cable internet and i have 3 ip address from them
i want to change my router to distribute the ip address to each computer, so that each computer is semi on its own connection, i know i can do this with a hub, but i want to be wireless, any suggestions?

if you want each computer to use it's own "live" address then you are going to have to disable any form of NAT that you are using. the connection will have to be direct to each computer. so, the end result you are looking for requires an access point instead of a barricade that performs NAT. use a wireless ap and then give each of the computers static addresses. or if you can disable NAT and use barricade as a simple AP with a firewall then that would be your second option. otherwise, you are going to need a true standalone firewall

or on second thought....place a firewall between the cable modem and the smc and then just use the smc as a switch. either way, you will have to use static addresses all around.

but my isp will need to assign 2 seperate ip address to each machine, and if i do a static ip, i wont be able to get on the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom