Change IP on Linksys WRT54G?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trotter

Grandfather of Techist, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff member
I set up my modem as an ethernet bridge the other day, no sweat. But no I have a problem. I want to forward my ports on my WRT54G, but it's IP is set at 192.168.2.1. When I pull up the setup page, it shows it only does 192.168.2.x.

To use portforward.com I need it set to 192.168.1.x, or so it appears to me.

Anyone have a solution (other than replacing my firmware, which ain't happening)? Either a way to change the IP to 192.168.1.x, or how to forward my ports without using portforward.com?

If all your computers are connected to ur router, then your computers should have a 192.168.2.xxx address. Check what your computer's local IP is. The router can only manage the port forwarding of computers on it's own level. If your router is running on the 192.168.2.xxx level, then all the computers connected to it should be a .2.xxx number. Your router's address should be 192.168.2.1 and ur computers should start (default settings) at 192.168.2.100. If you are just forwarding ports for torrents or games, why not just put that particular computer in the DMZ (demilitarized zone, outside the firewall) on the router. This way you don't need to worry about port forwarding for all your apps. Keep in mind though, your computer will be outside the firewall and will be open for outside attack. If you need help doing it, let me know, I have some remote support software to let me connect remotely and show you how to do it.

Pete said:
why would a firmware replacement be out of the option?
Because if I have a problem with the router I cn still call up Linksys for help. If I change the firmware, that won't happen.

suof6.jpg

fpxi3.jpg

I see what you are getting at, Peter. I was looking at the starting IP address.

D'oh!

Got it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom