Challenging Router/Firewall Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

glbr

Beta member
On my network of several computers, we have a recurring problem where random computers lose their internet connection at random but frequent (almost hourly) intervals. We are using a Netgear FVS318 router/firewall which doesn't have DHCP enabled (have a DHCP server). To "re-enable" the connection for the user, we need to reset the router. The affected computers can ping any WAN address but not connect to it (email, browser, etc...)

What is going on?!?

So you're saying when their web browser stop functioning they can still ping the website? Then I don't think this is a network problem, probably an application issue or firewall. Check the firewall feature on the router, stateful packet inspection, DoS prevention features, content filtering, etc.

Law said:
So you're saying when their web browser stop functioning they can still ping the website? Then I don't think this is a network problem, probably an application issue or firewall. Check the firewall feature on the router, stateful packet inspection, DoS prevention features, content filtering, etc.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't think it could be an application issue, since the only change I make to make outlook, internet explorer, etc. to function again is to reset the firewall.

How would I go about checking the features you mention?

I think you have to check routers access list or port setting.
is there port 80 disabled or blocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom