Cat5e testing problem

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
Hey guys, not sure if I'm just too tired and am missing something simple or if there actually is a problem. I'm wiring up some Cat5e, switch to wall plate.

Anyways, I've run the cables which were cut from working longer cables. After puting the terminal at one end and the keystone jack on the other end I get out my new testor. I plug in the newly terminated end on one side of the testor and using a short cable I know is good I plug it in to the keystone jack and then the tester. Unfortunately I keep getting the same message on the tester: "crossover".

What does that mean? I've tried re-wiring using both T568-A and B formats and I get the same message with both. Trying it with existing good cables instead of the tester there is no connection.

What's up, what am I missing here? I feel like it's something easy and I'm just too tired to see it.

Well crossover is the result of wiring it differently. You want to use crossover if you are connecting two computers together. re-cut the wire and try to rewiring it using a diagram found on google. If you are looking at it from the top it should be in the following order:
Orangewhite
Orange
GreenWhite
blue
bluewhite
green
brownwhite
brown

That was my immediate first response, I don't do much wiring of my own but it's not my first rodeo, I've always make my own cables and jacks... maybe 40-50 in the past. I have always had a few that didn't work off the bat and after re-wiring them have eventually got them to work properly.

However, this time is different. I've re-wired it a couple of times now without a change. It's why I went and got the tester. I've followed the wiring schematic for T568-A and B multiple times but always I get the same response from the tester "crossover". I'm following the wiring guide from the box for both the plugs and the jacks...they should work!

In frustration I re-wired some with a plug at both ends and they worked fine...it's only when the jack is connected that I get the "crossover" reading.

Any ideas?

[edit]For Clarification, here is what I've got wired right now and the testing results:

1) [PLUG] T568-A ---------------> [JACK] T568-A = good connection, "crossover"

2) [PLUG] T568B ----------------> [JACK] T568B = good connection, "crossover"

3) [PLUG] T568-A ---------------> [JACK] T568B = good connection, "crossover"

4) [PLUG] T568-A ---------------> [PLUG] T568-A = good connection, "connected"

Double checking by using the laptop and I get no connection on #1-3 and connection on #4.

Last edited:
That was my immediate first response, I don't do much wiring of my own but it's not my first rodeo, I've always make my own cables and jacks... maybe 40-50 in the past. I have always had a few that didn't work off the bat and after re-wiring them have eventually got them to work properly.

However, this time is different. I've re-wired it a couple of times now without a change. It's why I went and got the tester. I've followed the wiring schematic for T568-A and B multiple times but always I get the same response from the tester "crossover". I'm following the wiring guide from the box for both the plugs and the jacks...they should work!

In frustration I re-wired some with a plug at both ends and they worked fine...it's only when the jack is connected that I get the "crossover" reading.

Any ideas?

[edit]For Clarification, here is what I've got wired right now and the testing results:

1) [PLUG] T568-A ---------------> [JACK] T568-A = good connection, "crossover"

2) [PLUG] T568B ----------------> [JACK] T568B = good connection, "crossover"

3) [PLUG] T568-A ---------------> [JACK] T568B = good connection, "crossover"

4) [PLUG] T568-A ---------------> [PLUG] T568-A = good connection, "connected"

Double checking by using the laptop and I get no connection on #1-3 and connection on #4.

Sorry, wasnt sure. Always got to start at the first step. That is confusing. If you think its wired right. Maybe its a bad cable or jack?

no worries, I appreciate the help.

The cables should be fine, they are "used" in that I pulled them from existing lines running through the house that I've used before without issue. The jacks are brand new but what are the odds of them all being bad? I'm actually using two different brands, the result is the same either way.

Ok, update....I can get the cables to work if I use jacks at both ends, so the jacks are good. However, for some reason I can't get the plug and jack to work together. Just baffles me. I tried testing them individually and still keep getting the crossover message.

After building thousands of jacks and plugs and working with others, here is what I have found.

A lot of people do have this problem and it turns out that what they are doing, is they have turned the plug upside down.

When installing a plug, turn the plug so that the tap is down, strip the wire to the point that you have the outer sheth just at the the dip in the plug and the wires are extending past the end of the connecter.

Do all this from where the wires go into the connecter.

Now, look at the wire lay out. For B it is wh-org/org wht/grn blue/wht blu grn wht/brn brn.

Once you have this then take a very sharp wire cutter and cut the wires right at the end of the connector and then slip the wires into the connecter.

For the jack once you have the wires in there correct position, make sure that you push them down tight.

For jacks from the wire end, left side is grn wht/grn or/or/wht.
right side is blu blu/wht wht/brn brn

After building thousands of jacks and plugs and working with others, here is what I have found.

A lot of people do have this problem and it turns out that what they are doing, is they have turned the plug upside down.

When installing a plug, turn the plug so that the tap is down, strip the wire to the point that you have the outer sheth just at the the dip in the plug and the wires are extending past the end of the connecter.

Do all this from where the wires go into the connecter.

Now, look at the wire lay out. For B it is wh-org/org wht/grn blue/wht blu grn wht/brn brn.

Once you have this then take a very sharp wire cutter and cut the wires right at the end of the connector and then slip the wires into the connecter.

For the jack once you have the wires in there correct position, make sure that you push them down tight.

For jacks from the wire end, left side is grn wht/grn or/or/wht.
right side is blu blu/wht wht/brn brn

Thanks but no go....I've made those mistakes in the past (upside down plug has given me so many headaches!!!) and checked for them this time. It's wired properly, I swear. It works every time wiring plug to plug or jack to jack but as soon as I try plug to jack I get the crossover message. Tried a dozen times...not a single pass. Trying it wire by wire I can get 6 in the jack but as soon as I get to the 7th wire I get the crossover message. Oh well. I'm done for now. It's all wired up jack to jack now so I'm not re-doing it for a while.

Thanks for the help...still so frustrated! I hate not having a final answer.

Back
Top Bottom