Cat 5 crossover cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

leary

Solid State Member
Hi

I need to move a 9gig file folder from a old Pc to my new Pc and I have a crossover cable (both PCs have nic cards). I know little to nothing about networking other than the use of this cable will help with my problem.

Can someonr tell me in detail what I have to do to accomplish is transfer? I suspect there some confiuration involved but I have no clue on the specifics. I'd appreciate a dumbed down step by step if possible. Thanks in advance.

1) Plug the crossover cable to connect both of the computers network card together.

2) Right click on "My Computer" select Properties. Select Computer Name tab, make sure Workgroup on both computers are the same. If not select Change and enter the same workgroup. You will have to restart if you made any changes. Do this for both computers.

3) Go to Control Panel/ Network Connection, right click on the NIC that is connected with the crossover cable, select Properties, double-click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and select “Use the following IP address”. Enter the following IP and Subnet Mask for the following computers

ComputerA
IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: None
DNS: None

ComputerB
IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: None
DNS: None

Press OK to save and exit.

4) Back to Network Connection, right click on the NIC that is NOT connected with the crossover cable, select Properties, double-click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), select the “Advanced” button, select the WINS tab and select the “Disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP” radio button. Click Ok to save and exit. Do this for both computers.

5) Restart both computers.

6) Then sharing your files is as simple as following the direction on this site http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp/filesharing.htm

Thank you, you have explained it so even I can understand. Again thanks!!!

Since both computers will not be networking after I transfer the folder.....do I have to reverse configurations I made on either of the PCs so they will run independently again.

It wouldn't bother you, but you can reverse the steps, especially 4 and 6 if you want. Can I ask how both computers are connected to use the Internet or you don't have a router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom