Which card to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leaf

Solid State Member
Well I need to buy a wireless card for my new laptop, and im wondering which one to buy. I got to two houses, and one house has a linksys router, while the other one has a 2Wire router. Will a card work for both of those? I have a dell latitude with windows 2k, and im upgrading to xp soon. Thanks for the help.

Any card really.... As long as your card supports the protocols (a, b or g) available on the 2 routers, (which are b & g on today's WAP routers).. then it will work.

how will i find out which is which? im sure its in some settings somewhere, but where do i look?

On the routers, its usually writted somewhere on the casing itself. So check the casings for both or perhaps the best way is if you could get hold of their manuals or packings.

If you still can't find anything... reply back with the models of the routers.
Laterz
Faraz

Alright, one of the ones i have is a 2Wire 1000CW, which is a 802.11b router. The other one i have is a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router - WRT54G, obviously its a g router.

YEP; So you need a card that is b/g compliant...
most are these days.. B being older than G... cards are backward compatible... (not forward compatible though..)

So a b/g card is for you.. no hassles.

OR.. you could buy a B-only card which the Linksys WRT54G will operate at 11mps..therefore the router will take a step back to protocol b transmission to accomodate your b card. So you'll operate on the b protocol on both routers.

Id buy a b/g card so i can enjoy 54mbps from the WRT54G and occasionally the 11mbps fromt the 2wire if needed
Laterz
Faraz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom