Capping uploads externally?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How are you uploading, using an FTP client/server, using p2p software?

Depending on what type of outgoing traffic you are trying to cap, you might be able to do it through the software's options.

Not sure I understand what you mean by capping externally. Externally as in from the remote system? Or externally by not from inside the software but on your local system?

And what kind of upload are you trying to cap?

The ISP that I used to work for had something called a BCU - Bandwidth Control Unit. It was an expensive piece of equipment, about $5000 US, that would sit and look at the MAC addresses of the equipment that were trying to get through.

We were doing a hi speed wireless internet service in a rural area that didn't have cable or DSL access for anyone. Phone lines were so bad, some people couldn't even get dial up.

We offered three different speeds, depending on how much the customer wanted to pay, and controlled their speed from the BCU. We also used to BCU to prevent anyone from getting onto our service without paying.

I'm sure that there are other, less expensive, options available.

So u provided wireless

Where is this place that had to rely on wireless internet?
And how did you guys manage to secure the network given the security risks ...... WEP?

Hell no, we didn't use WEP. It's in western Iowa.

www.unitedwestern.net

Using that BCU, we filtered based on MAC addresses. Not perfect, as MAC addresses can be spoofed, but out of all of the people that I met, I don't think any of them had any idea how to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom