Can't transfer files modified after a certain date

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lanfisher

Beta member
While trying to transfer MP3 files from one computer on my network to the other, I was getting the error message: "Cannot copy... access is denied."

After lots of fiddling around with my firewall & router settings, I discovered that I could transfer some files but not others. All the files were in the same shared folder, and therefore I was baffled why I could only transfer some files.

I then tried to isolate similarities between the files that I could transfer and the files that I could not transfer. Finally, I discovered that I could transfer any file that was "Created or Modified" prior to April 25, 2005 - 11:30 pm.

I discovered this by doing the following:

*Arranged my MP3 folder file sorting by "Modified"
*Tried to copy dozens of individual files, one at a time, and being allowed copy access to every file right up until an MP3 file that was created/modified at 10:50pm on April 25, 2005
*When I got to an MP3 file that was created/modified at 11:30 pm on April 25, 2005, I was not able to copy that file, nor any of the several hundred files that were created/modified after that date

So it seems that something changed on my computer at around 11:00pm on April 25, 2005 that prevented any subsequent file saved in that same folder from being available for file transfer over my network.

I know it sounds really strange, but I think my conclusions are correct. I also checked the file "Attributes", "Advanced Attributes" and "Summary" information ('Protected: No') for the files that I could transfer and could not transfer, but they were all identical.

Does anyone have any clue what might have caused seemingly invisible change in file states?

Thanks,
Lan Fisher

Yes! I didn't think that would matter, but I just verified that both computers are both set to the same date and time, and both are synchronized through the same internet date and time server:

time.nist.gov

Any other suggestions/ideas?

make sure that your computer isn't archiving or compressing old files after a certain period of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom