cant obtain ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzimm86

In Runtime
I brought my computer home from college and tried to connect it to the internet. While at college i set up windows home network and everything was working fine. My problems here is that when i set my nic to obtain an ip address automatically i get an apipa address. i can ping myself however. I have tried a release and renew but keep getting the apipa address. If i set the ip address dynamically as well as the gateway and dns server (my router) i can then ping myself as well as the router. I can not however connect to the router or the internet. The router is the same router iu was using at school. I have tried using a different nic but that did not help. I am wondering if maybe there is a problem with my winsock but i am not sure. any ideas?

You mean reinstall the TCP/IP protocol? Or did you do a winsock fix? Because someone here had the same problem, I never mention to him to reinstall the TCP/IP protocol.

first i deleted the winsock and winsock2 out of the registry, rebooted and the winsock and winsock2 are automatically recreated. This did not work so i then decided to uninstall tcp/ip. i went to the connection properties and it would not allow me to uninstall the tcp/ip protocol. What i did next was in the connection properties click install----have disk--- directed it to c:/windows/servicepackfiles/i386/nettcpip.inf in did its thing i am not sure if i had to restart or not and bam it worked.

try to place the ip address manually. If that doesn't work go in to your router and try to enable DCHP addressing. This will allow the router to give the ip address to the computer. If everythings fails, go and return the router

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom