cant network

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niraj

Solid State Member
There are 5 floors in a building with each floor having a patch panel and switch(D Link DES 1024). There is another switch and patch panel in the server room.Let me explain the netwok has been laid out.A straight thru patch code from the patch panel (server room) to patch panel on each floor and straight thru patch cord from patch panel(server room) to switch(server room).
I have connected straight thru patch cords also from the patch panel on each floor to the corresponding switches on their floor.
I cant exchange data between floors.where is the problem?

Server <=======>patch panel<=====>switch/hub<=======>patch panel<=====>switch/hib<=======>computers ?

If the patch panel goes to a switch/hub

The computers would have to use a straight-through cable

Computers<======ST C=====>Patch Panel<====>Switch/Hub

If the Switch goes into another switch through a Patch Panel, you'll most likely need a cross over cable.

Computers<========ST C====>Patch Panel<===ST C===>Switch/Hub<====CO C=====>Switch/Hub<======ST C====>Server

Computers<========ST C====>Patch Panel<===ST C===>Switch/Hub<====CO C=====>Switch/Hub<======ST C====>Patch Panel<====ST C===>Server

Computers<========ST C====>Patch Panel<===ST C===>Switch/Hub<====CO C=====>Switch/Hub<======CO C====>Patch Panel<====CO C===>Switch/Hub<====ST C===>Server

Check for physical layer problems,
Cables: Correct media, bad media, bent media
Attenuation: 328 feet (100m) max for 10BaseT,100BaseTX, 1000BaseT UTP copper wires.
a bad centralized device: like a switch, or a cable, bad ports, port security, broadcast storms, STP and infinite loops.

Check your topology again, if the switches have IP address, use ping to test connectivity.

Give us more information to work with here, it's not easy to just figured out a physical problem like this without being there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom